Douglas County Flooding
This is for our neighbors to the south of Reno. Please be prepared.
Areas Affected: DouglasNWS Reno (Western Nevada)
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a
* Flood Warning for... Douglas County along the East and West Forks of the Carson River including the main stem of the Carson River from the confluence to the Cradlebaugh Bridge on Highway 395 in western Nevada...
* Until 1100 AM PDT Sunday
* Excessive rainfall and snowmelt is forecast for the warned area starting Friday and continuing into Saturday. The biggest impacts are expected to occur Saturday morning through Sunday morning on the rivers and starting as early as Friday afternoon on smaller creeks. The wave of water is currently expected to move downstream of the warned area by Sunday morning.
* Minor to moderate flooding is expected. Rivers, creeks, streams, urban areas along the river, farmland and pastures, roads, and the low lying area in the Carson Valley are at the greatest risk for flooding. High flows may also impact Cradlebaugh Bridge along Highway 395.
* Over 2 inches of rain is expected in the upper reaches of the basin with snow levels rising above 10000 feet. Expect snowmelt out of the low and mid level snowpack and runoff to significantly contribute to the amount of water moving through the Carson River system.
* This includes the following streams and drainages...Daggett Creek... Carson River from the confluence to Cradlebaugh Bridge...Indian Creek...Bryant Creek...Brockliss Slough... Johnson Slough...East Fork Carson River...West Fork Carson River... Home Slough and Fredericksburg Canyon.
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles. Follow the directions of emergency management officials. Stay away from river banks and culverts which can become unstable and unsafe.